Traditionally, the word audit is not one we care to read, hear or ever experience.
Let’s be honest, if you were told you were being audited, what would your initial reaction be?
After picking yourself up off the floor, what steps would you take next?
In the event of a (let’s just say the quiet part out loud), tax audit (shudder), much of our anxiety comes from knowing that the control of the process is in someone else’s hands. But what if we changed the context of that audit to a website audit? And, even better, what if we gave you all the tools to perform it yourself?
Now, who’s in control?
(Pull out your best Janet Jackson and go for it, “Control. Now I’ve got a lot. Control.”)
As a small business owner with a website, you share the same hopes and dreams as your fellow business owners (including your competition): to ensure your website is built in such a way that it brings in traffic and in return increases sales.
But how can you be certain this is happening? How can you increase the chances that potential new customers are finding your site, hanging out on your site, and then connecting with you via your site?
A website audit. (Don’t panic. You’ve got this.)
Let’s look at five general areas that should be assessed during a website audit and some questions you can ask yourself as you take a look.
- If you were clicking on the homepage of your website for the very first time, would you find the overall design clear?
- Is the site easy to navigate?
- Are you confused about where to find what you need?
Content & Marketing
- If you were visiting your website for the first time would you immediately know what products and services are available?
- Would you know how to connect?
- Is the content interesting & relevant (up-to-date) or does it look like the site hasn’t been updated in forever and a day?
Performance & Security
- How quickly do pages load?
- Perhaps you are on your phone – is the site mobile-friendly?
- Ruh-roh – are there broken links?
- Did you realize that ADA compliance is required for business websites?
- Were you aware that you can receive assistance in updating your site to be ADA compliant?
- Would your site be accessible to someone with visual or hearing impairments, just to name two examples?
- Is there outdated content that needs to be archived?
- Do you have an analytic tool set up to check website traffic?
- Are you utilizing SEO and keywords effectively?
Now comes the tough love.
Whether you need assistance with a website audit (which will provide you with a handy list for future improvements), a makeover, or a new site, our creative and development experts will set you up for digital marketing success!
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, in a world where social media reigns supreme, that kingdom can shut down at any time. A website, however, is yours – you own the keys to the castle!
So let us help you spiff up the joint! In the meantime, check out your website traffic and get a little more knowledge to add to your arsenal!
And don’t forget to share the goods with your small business friends!